Monday 23 June 2014

The Jane

Hello there readers.  For some reason returning from holiday to my normal everyday Belfast life has left me in a bit of a slump and with little inclination or imagination to post on this blog.  But that just won't do will it, and so I will be sharing with you today what seems like the easiest way to get back into the world of posting - some of my holiday snaps.

As you know, I am not the world's best photographer, nor, it appears, am I the most prolific when it comes to vacation snapping.  While going through the photos from our trip I discovered that the majority of them were of our hotel in NYC - The Jane.  That's okay though, because The Jane is really a place worth talking about.



I have no idea if this is the most expensive hotel I've ever stayed in (you'd have to ask Mr B as he usually takes care of our travel accommodations), but it is definitely my favorite one.  Have you seen The Grand Budapest Hotel?  Well, The Jane is kind of like a hipster version of that.  Maybe not quite as grand, but it certainly looks like it should be in a Wes Anderson film.  They have an amazing lobby complete with taxidermied peacocks and classically uniformed staff.


According to the literature, The Jane was originally a hotel for sailors.  One of it's claims to fame was housing the survivors of the Titanic (a little Belfast connection there) until the inquiry into the ship's sinking.


I found this article from the NYTimes about The Jane, if you want to read more.

1 comment: